Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fan delay switch

Posted by rwiegand (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 13:28

OK, I've been on Google for an hour without success. I want a traditional looking toggle switch that will turn the bathroom fan on when flipped and turn it off automatically 15-20 minutes later. I'd strongly prefer it not have a "continuous on" position because it will invariably be flipped the wrong way and run for hours or days until someone notices. (the downside of a really quiet, remote bath fan) The fan and lights are switched separately, I don't want the fan to go on whenever the lights are turned on.

Does such a thing exist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fan delay switch

Did you search ["time delay" toggle switch]? I have not seen one that does not have the optional constant on position. You can do it with a timer attached to another junction box somewhere, maybe at the fan. You could consider a switch with a constant-on position and do a mechanical modification of the switch or switch plate that locks that position out. (Just get an identical face plate, cut a strip of plastic from it and glue it onto the mounted face plate to limit switch movement.

Another possibility is an occupancy sensor. Some of them have an adjustable delay built in.

o

Yes, I did.

I suppose a manual on/auto off occupancy sensor would do the trick, though they look rather high-tech for our house. Thanks for the suggestion.

o

Lutron makes a nice little timer that you can preset for the off time. One tap turns it on and it turns itself off after x minutes. Two taps turns it on continuously, another tap shuts it off.

Unfortunately it's part of their Maestro series which means it's a Decora type switch. Does work well.

o

Requiring "two taps" would seem to make it much less likely to be turned on continuously. I wonder if they did any studies to compare that and consumer preferences to "push and hold". A pilot light that comes on with continuous would be desirable for me, perhaps even a little sonic alert.

o

Requiring "two taps" would seem to make it much less likely to be turned on continuously. I wonder if they did any studies to compare that and consumer preferences to "push and hold". A pilot light that comes on with continuous would be desirable for me, perhaps even a little sonic alert.

o

Double clicking often gives the wrong operation twice rather than the proper one twice. The human factors guys are on the side of press and hold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here