Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is All 10 3 Wire the Same?

Posted by bshanley (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 13:24

I am going to install an inlet for my emergency generator. The wiring from the inlet to the transfer switch will be 10 3 with ground, 30 amp. At Lowe's they sell a 50 foot roll (somewhat more than I need) for $106.00. It's flat and looks like the rest of the wiring in the house. Across the street at a local place they also sell 10 3 with ground, but it's round, like an extension cord. They sell it by the foot, and I would only need about $60 worth. Is there a difference between the two that I should be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is All 10 3 Wire the Same?

Whether round or flat doesn't really matter, but I don't know that I've ever seen flat 10/3. The extra wire in the cable tends to make it roundish.

Just to be certain, look at the cables and note the lettering. That will tell you the gauge, material and insulation used to build the cable. Report back here if you have trouble deciphering.

o

Thanks, Kurto. As luck would have it, I ran into a licensed electrician at the store, and he helped me out. The round wire was good to go.

o

For NM X/3 (3 insulated conductors with a bare ground) is usually rounder than X/2 2 insulated with a bare ground), but it is the manufacturers discretion as to the final shape.

For NM the bare ground is often wrapped in paper to make it pass through the cable making machinery better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here