Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Testing once a month..

Posted by taxtax (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 13:21

Hello all. I decided to start to learn a bit more about the electrical wiring in the house since some of it looks like it is in need of checking and repairs.

I did read recently in a book that all GCFI outlets should be tripped once a month to test.

I am just wondering, who here honestly does this that frequent? I don't even do that once a year.

Anyhow, I picked up a GB Gardiner Bender for testing the outlets around the house, it was cheap enough and I'm wondering what others have to say about this little tester?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Testing once a month..

If your receptacles are not grounded, the plug-in tester may fail to actuate the GFCI. But the GFCI does not require a grounded circuit to function properly in normal use.

o

Bus is right... the handheld tester leaks a small amount of current from the hot to the ground pin. If the ground pin is not connected that won't trip things. The button on the GFCI just loops a little of the current around the sensing circuitry so it cares not about ground (in fact, there is NO connection to the ground terminal by the GFCI guts at all).

I'm not that big on testing things but I'll often push the button on those and the arc faults if I'm in the panel (or near the receptacle) for some other reason.

I'm also the kind who waits until the smokes start feeping before getting around to replacing the batteries.

o

The button on the GFCI is the accepted test.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here