Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surface Wiring in Garage

Posted by bshanley (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 13:17

Mi house is old enough that garage door openers were not common when it was built, and it was not wired with an outlet in the garage ceiling. Long story, but it would be almost impossible to run wire through the ceiling now due to a funky flat roof.

I had a pre-sale house inspection done, and the inspector correctly dinged me for running the garage door opener off an extension cord.

If I install a surface mounted box on the ceiling, and use 14/2 NM-B to connect to the wall receptacle with a plug on that end is it ok? Maybe not, eh? What if I run the wire through plastic conduit? Still no good? Ok, is there a surface mount wall outlet that will fit over the old wall outlet? That would be ok, wouldn't it, if I grounded the 14/2, right? I'll bet one of you has an even better idea - please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surface Wiring in Garage

Attach this octagonal box(surface mount) to the wall in your garage near the existing outlet.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202056160

Use the rear knockout in the box and run new cable to the existing outlet to grab your power.

Then ceiling mount this box near the garage opener:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100538643

Run conduit from wall mounted box to ceiling mounted box.
Run individual wires from wall mounted box thru conduit into ceiling box and attach to duplex receptacle at ceiling.

Attach this cover plate at ceiling box:
http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Electrical-Boxes-Conduit-Fittings-Covers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbohm/R-100038014/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

o

Personally I'd take down the extension cord when I left and let the new owner decide how he wants to power the garage door opener.

If you want to run on the surface, you need to provide physical protection for the wires which means some kind of conduit. You can use metal or plastic conduit depending on what your local codes allow. You can run non-metallic cable (aka Romex) inside of conduit for physical protection but it's typically easier to pull individual wires.

There are box extensions that allow you to "come out of the wall" using the existing junction box. On example I found quickly:

From there just come up the wall, across the ceiling, and surface mount your new box. The conduit needs to be properly supported as well. Use a stand-off clamp if you don't want to get into bending offsets for the boxes.

As for wire size, you need to look at the circuit breaker. A twenty amp breaker will require 12 gauge wire and a 15 amp breaker 14 gauge wire.

o

Thanks, guys. Now I'm sure I can do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here