Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Switched Receptacle

Posted by bambrose (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 13:00

There is a switched power receptacle or outlet in my living room that i am trying to take off the switch and have power running to it at all times. I'd like to take that switch and use it for the new recessed lights.

Can someone give me a brief description of how to do this?

This is what I was thinking... disconnect power feeding the switch, piggytail that with the feed to the receptacle/outlet, and the new power to the switch for the new lights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Switched Receptacle

Usually a switched receptacle is split, so all you have to do is replace the outlet with a new standard one using the wires currently running to the non-switched part of the receptacle. Then your switch is available for use (assuming you can run new wire from your lights to the switch, or to the box where the receptacle is, using it as a junction box).

Is the switch in the same stud bay as the receptacle, or across the room?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here