Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Four-way switch problem

Posted by blackhorse16a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 12:20

I have a four-way switch controlling just one light. It was working fine. I replaced one of the two 3-way switches and it stopped working correctly. Now, all three work only in certain combinations.

I never touched the 4-way or other 3-way. I have double checked that the hot wire is on the proper terminal on both 3-ways. What could be going on here??

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Four-way switch problem

I recently replaced a 3-way switch and the replacement looked identical to what I took out. However, after reviewing the spec sheet, I realized that the manufacturer had switched the terminals around. I know you say that the hot wire is on the proper terminal, but is that based on wiring it up with the wires in the same positions, or on having absolutely verified what all of the terminals are? Don't mean to be insulting...just throwing out a possibility.

o

My lack of electrical understanding is so low, insult is impossible :)

I did verify the hot and connected it to the dark colored terminal that has no screw opposite it. Thinking more about it, I figured the only other reasonable possibility is that the hot was still on the wrong terminal, so I swapped the blacks and now all is good.

o

Congrats!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here