Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Underground wiring

Posted by don_1_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 12:06

Is there an equivalent to 14/2 UF that is stranded? If so how is it designated?

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Underground wiring

No there isnt an equivalent thats stranded. What can be done is install non-metallic rigid conduit(electrical pvc) in the ground at the required depth(24" from grade to the top of the conduit meets all requirements) and use THHN instead of a sheathed cable. Both ends of the conduit must be terminated into a box such as a Bell box.

RE: Underground wiring

Okay thanks.

RE: Underground wiring

Given that you specified UF, it implies a wet location, and therefore you need THWN. Most wire is rated both THHN and THWN, but it always pays to check.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here