Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beamerhog18

2 Prong ungrounded outlets in the Bedrooms

beamerhog18
9 years ago

Hi. My fiance and I are looking for places to live once we get married and we found this darling property that would be a great source of income if we ended up renting it out in the future. It is within walking distance from the University of Arkansas and very reasonably priced. One of our hesitations on the property is the lack of grounded outlets in the bedrooms. The former owners rewired the kitchen and bathroom so the important, code related areas are rewired. I am wondering replacing the outlets in the bedrooms with GFCIs would be good enough, or if there needs to be a total rewire. We would look into rewiring at a later time, just not right away. Thanks for the help...

Comments (6)

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

It depends what you mean by "good enough." GFCI will provide occupant protection. It won't allow things like surge protectors to necessarily do all they can do for you.
    Frankly for several years, new construction requires AFCI's in all bedroom outlets (including lighting). The latest codes require them in other living spaces.

More concerning than the lack of grounded receptacles or GFCI/AFCI is just what is the condition of the existing wiring and what the loading on the various circuits are.

If this is a concern, I would implore you to get an actual electrician to give you a read. Every home inspector I've ever dealt with is a complete idiot when it comes to any more than sticking his circuit tester in the receptacle and seeing if the bulbs light up.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Can a GFCI even function without a ground wire present?

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

beamerhog-
    Just because the outlets aren't grounded doesn't make them inherently unsafe. When I was growing up, none of the homes had grounded outlets and we all lived to talk about it. Nothing wrong with your wanting to be safer and adding GFCI's -- which will provide protection even without a ground wire -- but you shouldn't let this situation prevent you from getting this property unless you believe there are other wiring problems.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

No safety issues exist. Only use limitations exist because you can't use any equipment that has a ground plug built in.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

You do realize that large parts of the world have electrical systems without a ground? I'm here in brazil right now at world cup and not a single outlet is grounded.

I grew up in a home that had no grounded outlets. most electrical devices do not require or need ground.

Sure it's better, but it's not the end of the world. Worse comes to worse you pull new wire and upgrade the electrical - get an estimate before you commit to buy if it's that important to you.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

"Can a GFCI even function without a ground wire present?" The GFCI functions as well in the absence of a ground as when one is present. The built-in test function works without a ground. Many of the plug-in testers do rely on a ground for their test function-- and that is where the home inspectors get it all wrong.
    Bedrooms are areas with very low shock hazards.