Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistersail

Power Cord Plug Gets Super Hot

mistersail
10 years ago

I have a Thermax DV12 Hot Water Extractor it will draw a full 15 amps(what the ownerâÂÂs manual says it draws) I will have the 1800 watt heater side of the switch turn on to Pre-heat up the 12 gallon tank of Cold water. While the heater is on, after a while the electrical plug will get so hot the prongs start to melt the rubber plugin. This is using a 120 Volt wall outlet, the OEM cord is 25 feet long and is a number 10 cord, no extension cord attached. I have taken the Extractor back to my garage and the plugin on the end of the cord just gets warm( which is normal) , I take it back to my in-laws garage (to detail his car) and the plug gets super-hot there, but not at my shop or my neighbors. His garage is about 80 feet from the panel box not sure if this is a issue. This is a new place for them in the town next to us. So it is a bit of going back and forth to answer any questions that you will need to help with this challenge ( but I am willing to do that of course). No breakers are being blown. Their home and separate garage is a relatively new place, maybe 6 years old. The DV12 Hot Water Extractor works great everywhere else I Use, it except at their garage. . I have looked at all the wires on the DV12âÂÂs switches, and the terminal block, heater thermal reset, thermostat, two vacuum motors and pump. None of these wires are burnt or shorting out. I have had this Hot water extractor for many years and no problems at all (used it professionally). Therefore I am feeling that it is a building or wiring problem for this particular situation.. Not the machines problem.Thanks

Comments (5)