Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 circuit breakers that "do nothing"

Posted by Jamina1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:23

We bought our house two years ago (built in the 1980's), and I've been gradually making updates to plugs, switches, and light fixtures as I go. One of the general annoyances is the lack of adequate labeling on my circuit breaker box, so I'm trying to systematically go through and label what each breaker does.

Yesterday, in an attempt to disconnect the power to a ceiling fan, I discovered at least 2 breakers that don't appear to do anything when turned off.
There is also a small tandem breaker in the box, the bottom half of which I couldn't determine to do anything either.

Any ideas if this is a "thing" (leaving breakers in the panel that don't do anything) or am I potentially missing something? I did find a circuit that controlled only ONE plug, as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 circuit breakers that "do nothing"

Sometimes breakers are installed in panels but are not wired, they actually just take up space where a knockout has been removed so that there can be no accidental intrusions to an area where there is a live bus.

o

Leave them off, if they were in use you will eventually find where.

o

Could be either. Maybe they don't even have a wire on them, or maybe you're just not finding what they control.

o

Hopefully you wont "eventually" find out they feed a sump or septic pumps, the smoke alarms, or some other important but less obvious outlet.

o

Hopefully he would check critical circuits after shutting them off, which I considered mentioning but figured it was common sense. How far do you go with advice without writing a novel? If people want to DIY on their home systems they bear at least some responsibility to use common sense.

This post was edited by joefixit2 on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 12:20

o

And this he knows it's connected to something critical how?
When the basement starts flooding? When the toilets start overflowing (in a fit of stupidity, both the pumps and the high level alarm, nick named the deep sh*t alarm, in my old house are connected to the same breaker).

o

"And this he knows it's connected to something critical how?"

by turning off the breakers and checking to see if the critical stuff still works?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here