Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

How Urgent? Aluminum electrical corrosion or what?

SparklingWater
9 years ago

Hi, hoping for some help here in an area that many plumbers and electricians over the years have seen and noted no sense of emergency or urgency but eventual pipes needed eventual switch out.

The photos show main and BX armored cable electrical lines from the older of two used basement 200 amp metal breaker boxes. The original owner's electrician placed the old breaker box under an old first floor shower and yep, the tile shower/drain leaked. So, I cut off the water with intent of eventual replacement, soon to occur.

What's going on here? Corrosion has always been noted in this area (or flux?) when plumbers/electricians come, but now I see possibly new "white stuff" on the BX aluminum cable electrical wiring leading away from the old metal breaker. Is this also corrosion? Note: last summer during kitchen fix, an electrician put in a new grounding wire away from this area even though we had pipe grounding wires.

I'm going to have electrician in to advise me, so please don't flame me on these photos. The area has been heavily viewed over the years.

What do you think of that BX cable? How urgent is this situation w.r.t. electric hazard to wires inside? Any possible relation to old and new grounding last summer, as I don't recall seeing this white stuff at all last summer or year before?

Thank you for your help!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 11:37

Comments (3)