Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Very large wires exposed

karyn
9 years ago

We had a covered patio spa tub removed - the breakers are off but it left the following wires hanging out of the wall exposed.

We aren't sure - but can anyone tell - is this 220V or 110V? (The dual 15a switch in the middle)

It will need to be capped off and put into a box in the wall - or turned into an outlet box in the wall if it's 110v. The wall is cinder block with enough room for a box inside, but mounting it might be a challenge.

Comments (14)

• petey_racer
    9 years ago

That is a 240V two pole 50A breaker. Whoever left that like that is a FOOL!!

Yes, get someone to cap them off in a box. NOT the same someone who removed the tub.

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! That's what I suspected, but wanted to confirm. As far as I'm concerned it will never be used again for anything however a box with some kind of access is probably preferred, if not code - (rather than just capping and sealing them off in a closed box inside the wall).

Since we do not want 240V on that patio wall - Would it be easier to just have them remove the power to that line altogether? (Remove the breakers perhaps?)

• User
    9 years ago

There is no service disconnect on the wall already?

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"There is no service disconnect on the wall already?"

I don't know what a service disconnect looks like. The panel these breakers are located in serves the pool equipment - if that's what you mean? Cutting off the entire panel isn't useful.

On the wall - the wall as in - where the wires come out? I'm not sure what you mean. This is what it looks like where the box needs to go to cap off those wires and get them out of danger/service(in the wall).

This post was edited by karyn on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 19:57

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And THIS is what the whole panel looks like.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

If you want, you can unhook the conductors at the circuit breaker within the panel.

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"If you want, you can unhook the conductors at the circuit breaker within the panel."

This sounds like the simplest solution - of course we will get a professional to do it, to make sure it's done right. Then the wiring can just get sealed off into the wall and forgotten - but still there in the event anyone would ever want it down the road.

Thanks everyone - I think this fully answered the question and has given us enough direction to move forward!

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

Perhaps they are already unhooked at the breakers. Keep in mind that the cable could be re-purposed for other use, like 120V outlets.

I think that jreagan meant that there is usually a switch near the equipment in question. The specifics are laid out in the electrical code, but I think is is supposed to be within sight. I believe it is to discourage working on the equipment while still powered by having a disconnect easily reached. If there was a disconnect, it has been removed. On the other hand, the panel you pictured might qualify.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Any equipment must have a disconnect that can either be seen from the point you are working on the equipment (so you can verify it is still off) or it has to have a locking mechanism (so you can lock it off and make sure someone doesn't sneak up and turn it on while you're working).

This certainly applies to spas that are not connected by a cord and plug.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

By the way, this appears to never have been a legal installation... where is the ground. A green-insulated ground is absolutely required here.

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK I think I understand - in this case - the spa was hard wired through the wall into the tub enclosure which was up against an inside covered patio wall without any exposure.

That hard wire connection went through the cinder block wall and up into the panel on an outside wall of the house - as pictured. The ONLY on/off (other than the spa's control panel itself) was the breaker.

We are finding they did a lot of unpermitted stuff in this house which was never disclosed. Removing the spa is in preparation to sell, so disconnecting the electric altogether and sealing it off is the fastest route to cleaning things up.

Turning it into 120V would be nice, but not if it costs a lot. It is in a outside area - enclosed patio under roof - so subject to more rules, permits and inspection - more difficult than just popping a GFI outlet on there I suspect.

Thanks again everyone!

• User
    9 years ago

And that large hole in the block is a great place for rodents to enter your house.

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

* "And that large hole in the block is a great place for rodents to enter your house." *

I'm not too concerned about that - as stated above, it is on a fully enclosed screened in Lanai (FL word for back patio) - and the wall is made of Cinder Block so the rodents would have to bring a hammer and chisel to get out from inside the one block's compartment into another. :-)

It's not staying open for long anyway.... the electrician just disconnected the wires to the breaker in the panel - and the old exposed wires will be sealed into the wall with concrete/stucco if we can't mount it as a blank aux box.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Any "electrician" who would leave bare 240V wires (even with breaker off) exposed at the end of a project should be reported. You cannot trust a breaker to stay off, and that could kill somebody.

I know you're fixing it, and have disconnected the wires, but that is just TERRIBLE.