Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_in_gw

301 Volts on 240 circuit

steve_in
13 years ago

My parents had a heating/cooling technician at their house yesterday trouble shooting an A/C problem. He found that they had over 300 volts in their house (150 volts on 120 circuits). A call to the power company prompted them to immediately come out and replace a transformer on the pole outside. (They have a new type of meter and they could tell at the REMC office from a computer that there was too much voltage going into their house) My parents think that this has been going on for a while. They have been "going through the light bulbs", fluorescent light transformers have gone out, issues with a stereo, are a few of the problems they have been experiencing. They have lived at the house less than a year. I think the transformer was replace shortly before they moved in (it was an old house that they had gutted and remodeled) and it might have always been putting out too much voltage. Suddenly the ceiling fans are quieter and going slower, the incandescents are dimmer and the fluorescents are brighter. The power company is sending the transformer off to be tested.

They are going to have an electrician come and advise them on what might have been damaged but is still "working" for insurance purposes.

Has anyone ever had experience with this issue before and have any advice?

Comments (4)