Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Do I Fix This

Posted by mike_kaiser (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 9:45

We have a lighted medicine cabinet with three little low-voltage halogen lamps that looks a lot like this one:

The lights are switched by one of those combo switch/GFCI receptacle devices that's on the wall next to the cabinet. She's always complained that with a single receptacle that she plugging and unplugging to use her haircare appliances. So I figure I'll put in a bigger box and add another receptacle.

The transformer sits above the lights and the "cord" goes into the wall and enters the box with the receptacle, not through a knock out but through the mounting holes in the side of the box.

At this point I'm suspecting that this thing was never meant to be hardwired and the original installer just cut the plug off the cord and ran into the box. Although a length of lamp cord running down the wall to the receptacle seems a bit odd, not to mention ugly.

The only "proper" fix that comes to mind is to put a switched receptacle directly above the cabinet. That wouldn't look so great either.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Do I Fix This

Does the transformet appear to be designed be able to have a different power cable, like NM, installed?
You also might try using a 'clock receptacle' above the cabinet. It has a single outlet which is recessed a half inch or so from the wall surface. If the box is mounted horizontally close to the top of the cabinet, it should minimize its visibility.

o

No, the transformer has [lamp] cord coming out of it.

Who designs this stuff?

o

"the "cord" goes into the wall and enters the box with the receptacle, not through a knock out but through the mounting holes in the side of the box.

"the transformer has [lamp] cord coming out of it."

Is their a plug on the end?
'zip cord' is not rated for use in concealed locations, and inside the wall is concealed.

o

Yes, I know zip cord isn't approved for concealed locations. No plug on the end. I suspect the original installer just cut off the plug and connected the cord directly to the switch.

I'd really prefer not to put a receptacle above the cabinet and was hoping for other ideas. Although I'm not sure one exists.

It's beyond me why they would design something like this (beyond the obvious, "make it as cheaply as possible).

o

If he mounted the cabinet in such a way that you don't need any tools to take it out (such as with a screw through a keyhole slot), would he be allowed to put the clock receptacle behind the cabinet, providing that the wire is passed through a hole big enough and protected with a rubber grommet? If allowed, he would just have to buy a plug that's 90 degrees offset, so it would not protrude from the wall and touch the back of the cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: 90 degree plug

o

Put a receptacle in the cabinets or a clock type receptacle behind the light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here