Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question on led recessed lighting. ic or not?

Posted by jagermeister (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 9:36

I'm doing a bathroom renovation and wanted to use LED recessed lighting but can't figure out if it's ok to cover the cans with insulation. Hopefully someone can help me out.

I plan on using the 5" LED retrofit kit made by Lithonia found at Home Depot. The kit comes with the can, and a combo trim/LED bulb. The area above the bathroom is an attic with batted insulation.

The box the kit comes in states "IC/NON-IC REMODEL HOUSING". So which is it? Nothing in the installation directions specifically states making it an IC or NON-IC installation. In the general caution list, there is a line item stating to avoid covering the LED fixture with insulation, foam, or other material. However, if the can is truely IC, then covering with insulation shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a little put out at the lack of detail in the directions regarding IC or NON-IC. This, to me, seems to be a pretty important issue. Is there a better recessed LED kit out there that addresses this more clearly?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question on led recessed lighting. ic or not?

You have a model number of the housing?

o

Thanks for your reply.

I ended up returning the retrofit kit and got a 6" IC rated can manufactured by HALO. In that I installed an LED light and trim. Ended up being $10 cheaper than the kit for a bigger light with more lumens. I have peace of mind knowing the can is definitely IC rated.

Thanks again.

o

If I were going to guess, I would say that it is qualified for both installations. Except it should not be covered as stated (sides touching would be ok).

o

Could also be a label made for multiple models, where one is IC rated and another isn't. In such instances, one of them is supposed to be (but not always) marked or circled.

Glad you got a solution you're happy with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here