Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My XBOX av cables are shocking me

Posted by matt-kuhar (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 9:30

hi all. this seems a little weird to me. today i unplugged my xbox from the composite connections on my tv to connect my camera. when i disconnected the xbox my finger came in contact with the ground on the xbox av cables and i got a decent shock from them. its probably mild to you guys but to me it hurt like hell. does anyone know what maybe causing this. btw the xbox was OFF when this happened.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My XBOX av cables are shocking me

Welcome back....

What happened at school.....No pictures ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Your previous post

o

i tried to get the pictures but i was told and i quote " if any pictures of this DANGEROUS electric problem get out of the school we can be fined and possibly closed down" therefore i dont have pictures. Yet...

o
RE:: My XBOX av cables are shocking me

and about the xbox cables. i tried to measure the voltage on the DC and AC settings on my meter and it was not registering any voltage but i touched the cable again and its a continual shock.

o

"and about the xbox cables. i tried to measure the voltage on the DC and AC settings on my meter and it was not registering any voltage but i touched the cable again and its a continual shock."

What kind of meter?

A digital meter will have an impedance high enough to measure from high impedance sources.

It is most likely capacitive leakage from 60 Hz and has a very high source impedance.
That limits the current and makes it more of an annoyance than a safety issue.

It shows up in switching power supplies if they are not well designed and grounded.

o

yes, it is a digital meter i tried to measure with. and i do know that the XBOX power supply is not grounded because it is provided with a two prong power cord.

o

If the digital meter cannot measure the voltage the source impedance is many hundreds of mega-ohms (higher then the meters input impedance on the voltage scale).

o

so does that mean it more of a nuisance than a safety hazard?

o

"so does that mean it more of a nuisance than a safety hazard?"

Yes.

The volt ticks operate the same way.

By having a very high impedance in series they limit the current to a level that is not a hazard.

Without the ability to deliver enough current even a very high voltage source is not a safety hazard.

o

ok thanks for all the help. have a nice day

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here