Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can u use a dimmer on kichler xenon under cabinet light

Posted by trinity_2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 8:50

these are line voltage, can u use a dimmer on them? the have a two position switch on the lights themselves but i prefer to use wall dimmer and leave them on high

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can u use a dimmer on kichler xenon under cabinet light

I don't know about "u" but "you" certainly can.

o

What does the manufacturer say?

The biggest problem is if the lights contain low voltage bulbs they may have a power supply that is NOT compatible with certain types of dimmers (or any dimmers).

The input voltage is NOT the only thing you need to know.

o

ok i called the kichler and they said yes but it needs to be 'electronic' dimmer....i assume this is not your everyday dimmer?

o

You need a dimmer that says it can be used with fluorescents or low voltage lights. Some of the cheaper dimmers get screwed up with trying to find the zero crossing on a non-resistive load.

o

"Some of the cheaper dimmers get screwed up with trying to find the zero crossing on a non-resistive load."

Worse than that, the chopping of the leading edge of the voltage waveform causes a lot of high frequency noise that can destroy transformers and power supplies not especially designed to cope.

Shutting off on the falling edge before a zero crossing is not nearly as bad, but takes a different part than a Thyristor used in common incandescent dimmers.

o

well i have a leviton decora sureslide in there and it works great.

i guess i'll see what happens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here