Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding a circuit

Posted by wvjack (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 8:46

I am interested in adding a twenty amp cicuit in my garage workshop. Here is the problem:

I live in a townhouse. Each group of four townhouses are arranged in quadrant. I live in the rear of the quadrant. The configuration of the garages is such that my garage is under the townhouse in front of mine. Their garage is adjacent to my garage, and also under their townhouse.

My problem is how to get the additional circuit to my garage. Also, my meter is in the rear of my townhouse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding a circuit

In most places the only legal way to do this is call an electrician. Exemptions for doing work on your own single family house don't apply to multiunit dwellings.

The way you get a circuit is to run the wire from the garage to your panel making sure that you obey not only the NEC but also any building/fire code issues regarding wall penetrations (garages are particularly problematic).

This is NOT a DIY task.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here