Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stuck mounting screws for electrical outlet

Posted by robmsz (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 6:27

I'm trying to replace the original electrical outlets in a 60+ year old house. Over the years (never mind the paint)the mounting screws holding the outlet into the metal electrical are IMPOSSIBLE to remove! I was able to (with much difficulty) back the screw out 1/16th of an inch maybe, but due to the thin slot on the screw head I am unable to remove these screws. Any advice on how to make this job go a litle more smoothly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stuck mounting screws for electrical outlet

If you've gotten them backed out a 1/16" I'd just grab them with a pair of pliers.
Yeah it's tedious but the new one will go in much better.

If you can't get them to budge at all, I've got a cute little thing called a "Grabit" for extracting stuck screws. Best $20 I spent on a tool I think (not just for electrical work).

o

A bit of penetrant on the screw threads probably would help. A spout type can, such as the packaging of Liquid Wrench, would be useful for such application. The screws will twist off if forced too much and removal then requires some skill with a punch, drill and tap. If the screw moves just a little, applying the penetrant and moving the screw back and forth will usually loosen it.

o

Grab the head with pliers or us a utility knife to clean up the slot.

A thin file also works.

o

If the pliers don't work, what ronnatalie suggested makes sense, if I understand it, it's also called an "easy-out" and is basically a reverse threaded, tapered screw, you drill a hole into the centre of the stuck screw, then screw this thing in anti-clockwise, and it undoes the screw with it.

o

'Easy outs' rarely work well on small screws outside of a machine shop.

You simply cannot hold a drill accurately enough on a #6 screw head to drill into the shank of the screw.

I have had plates so painted onto receptacles the front of the receptacle came off with the plate (after filing a slot into the screw).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here