Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 prong dryer to a 3 prong outlet

Posted by heba (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 3:53

I have a 4 prong Kenmore elite dryer ( model # 11082832100) and want to install it to a 3 prong outlet.My house was built in 1979 and I live in Tucson AZ. I have read about pigtail method which I'm unfamiliar with ? Home depot advised me to install a 4 prong outlet to the wall which only has 3 wires and would leave an open ground ? I have also read about changing the 4 prong cord on the dryer to a 3 wire cord and using a jumper from the neutral to the dyer casing .Of course I could hire an electrician to run a 4 wire from the panel but thats expensive. Can you advise the safest method ,thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 prong dryer to a 3 prong outlet

Never take electrical advice from the idiots at Home Despot.
What they told you is ILLEGAL AND DANGEROUS.

Get out the manual for the dryer. It right out tells you how to replace the cord with a proper three wire cord.

The other option of running a four wire circuit is also valid.

The code permits the frames of dryers to be grounded via the neutral (i.e., the three wire setup) as a "grandfather" clause for existing installations. It's reasonably safe.

o

It is NEC compliant to change the cord to a 3-wire if the instructions are in the manual.

It is NOT NEC compliant to instal a 4-wire plug on the existing 3-wire circuit.

The change to 3-wire is not all that complicated.

o

It's in the manual....I looked it up already before I posted it.

o

Call your salesman and ask for the three prong cord and the manual info. Their installers will have this.

o

The cord you can get at the home centers or if you ask at sears.
The manual comes with the machine or you can do what I did and just google the part number and you'll find it online.

Jeez, I gave the right answer in the first reply. It's not that hard people.

o

The cord you can get at the home centers or if you ask at sears.
The manual comes with the machine or you can do what I did and just google the part number and you'll find it online.

Jeez, I gave the right answer in the first reply. It's not that hard people.

o

It's hard to believe that nobody has said this yet, but you should get out the manual for the dryer. It explains how to replace the cord with a proper three wire cord.

;)

o

Call an electrician. You got the same answer on the Appliance Forum and didn't understand it there either. You have no business touching any wiring or you may be very sorry. Or your survivors may be very sorry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here