Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing Electrical Box: How Much???

Posted by larry1987 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 2:58

Wanted to ask what do you think a "ball park" labor cost would be to install a new electrical box on the outside of a small two bedroom 900 sq ft house? Let's say I will buy the box, how long do you think it would take a professional electrician and how much should i expect to pay in Los Angeles.

thanks in advance! larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing Electrical Box: How Much???

...sorry for the bad terminology... i meant to say, how much to install an Electric Service Panel... not a "box"... thanks! larry

o

I would not buy the panel or meter unless the guy you hire tells you exactly what to get.
In fact, make sure the guy you hire is willing to work like that.

o

There are too many variables to offer you anything but a range that goes from a couple hundred to OMG.
Replacing a current service panel or new construction/expansion?
Main panel or branch panel?
Just hang the panel or install/move circuits?
How many circuits?
Age/condition of any cabling that is relocated?
Surface mount or flush mount?
Who is responsible for non-electrical tasks (siding, stucco, etc)?
You'll get a better idea by getting three bids from local electricians. Make sure they are all bidding on the same scope of work.
And I too would tend to have the electrician responsible for bringing the materials.

o

...sorry for the bad terminology... i meant to say, how much to install an Electric Service Panel... not a "box"... thanks! larry

o

The service panel itself is relatively inexpensive. There are of course the breakers that go inside the panel. If the service entrance needs to be upgraded there is a fair amount of supplies involved with that. In Dallas, we charge around $1,500 for a panel and service upgrade provided there are no large problems. We do not add a markup on supplies. That said, you will not gain much by purchasing perhaps a $40 item in an effort to save money.

o

thank you very much for all of your insight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here