Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Approved methods for capping off R.I.P. conduit?

Posted by fixizin (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 1:28

e.g. you have a metal j-box embedded in the exterior stucco/concrete, and several IMC/RIGID conduits coming into it from the sides, and even straight in the back, likewise embedded in concrete, and now one of those conduits (for a 3-way switch) is no longer needed. I'm familiar with the steel knockout plugs that snap into place, but in this case, the conduit isn't budging, and can't be separated from the box.

Does that empty conduit have to be "capped off", and if so, how? Seems like the unused conduit is now a theoretical fire path, with no offsetting advantage.

What say ye, RKIs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Approved methods for capping off R.I.P. conduit?

Unless the conduits are very large (>4 inches), short, and open at both ends (not terminating in a closed up box) it is not very likely fire will even enter them.

Ask you AHJ if there is an issue.

Intumescent caulk of some mortar will seal them if required.

o
RE: Approved methods for capping off R.I.P. conduit?

Thanks, RED caulk it is... makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here