Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Leave Conduit Joints Unglued For Rough Inspection?

John Liu
12 years ago

My garage subpanel project is moving along here. I have one silly question. I am building the conduit from main panel to garage subpanel around the conductors, rather than building the conduit and then pulling four #6 conductors through it. Can I leave some of the conduit joints unglued until the inspector comes to see the rough wiring, then glue those up as part of the ''button it up'' phase? I have this image of him telling me to change something - I have no idea what, being a novice at this - and then having to hacksaw apart the joints that I have glued up. I think I'm doing things right in that run - have checked that 1'' PVC is ok for four #6 conductors, counted the number of bends between pull points, will paint the conduit where it is exposed to sun, etc - but I'm not overly confident.

Comments (8)

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

All jurisdictions have their own requirements for rough-in inspections, but assembling the conduits around the wiring would certainly NOT pass here nor would not having the conduit fully installed (which means glue) at the time of the rough in.

You are right, 4 #6 (you don't indicate what sort of conductor) is going to probably be legal but really tight.

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

Forgot to point out it's also contrary to the NEC Article 300.18. (Was confused that you were the other guys who inspector says he can have all the bends he wanted).

• DavidR
    12 years ago

Sorry, as I understand the code, you're not permitted to assemble a conduit system around the wiring. The wiring is to be pulled through a complete assembly. Not too tough to see the reason - that cement is pretty strong stuff, who knows what effect it might have on the wire's insulation. But by the time you pull, it's dry.

I don't see any problem with assembling a conduit system around a fish tape or long steel wire, however, then using that to pull your wire.

Go larger diameter, you won't be sorry when you pull.

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

Yes, the prohibition is only that wires can't be installed prior to the conduit being installed to prevent possible damage to the wire. You're fish or pull tape shouldn't be a concern.

• kalining
    12 years ago

Depends on your codes. Here you CANNOT USE PVC for a wire
    run. It must be approved pipe or equivalent for electricity
    and identified as such. Imagine the surprise in the new owner of your house when you sell it finding a water pipe in the ground. (PVC usually means water.) cutting thought it
    when not wanted and getting a 220 volt blast.

• Ron Natalie
    12 years ago

PVC, when listed for electrical use, *IS* an approved conduit. It's specifically referenced in the code both for Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 (the latter must be used when physical protection is needed).

PVC is not equated with WATER. If you're going to use PVC, you have to know if it's rated for water supply, DWV (sewer/venting), or electrical. They all have different characteristics.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Imagine the surprise in the new owner of your house when you sell it finding a water pipe in the ground. (PVC usually means water.) cutting thought it
    when not wanted and getting a 220 volt blast. "

Non-metallic electrical conduit is marked as such, and does not have any PSI rating or other plumbing markings.