Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

ac-dc transformer question

Posted by blaster1492 (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 23:46

Hi all,
Electrical novice here. Trying to figure out my undercabinet lighting and having a technical issue...hoping someone might be able to help!
My wife and I want led rope lights ( to be run under the cabinets and wired directly to a dimmer switch. However, this is DC power, so usually it is run through an AC-DC transformer and then plugged into a normal wall switch. We don't want a wire and a plug to be there all the time. To be honest I didn't even think this would be an issue since I would think most people want their undercabinet lights on a switch.

Does anyone have any solutions so I can direct-wire these types of lights to a wall dimmer switch? Is there some other type of transformer that converts DC to AC without necessitating a plug?

Thanks so much for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: ac-dc transformer question

Yes, there are hardwired transformers available. Just google "hardwired lighting transformers"

RE: ac-dc transformer question

Google WAC lighting.transformer.

RE: ac-dc transformer question

You can do this a couple of different ways. 1. A regular lighting dimmer for your plug-in power supply (what you are calling a transformer) with a DC power cord going to your lights. 2. A DC dimmer (rheostat) mounted with the lights (could be hidden under the cabinets right next to the lights). A plug-in power supply may hum or buzz if not designed to be run at anything less than full power, however. A ceiling fan type dimmer could be used, but those are generally more expensive. The plug in power supply (a.k.a. wall wart) may also be unsightly, but could also be placed under the cabinets, requiring a receptacle in that location as well and then a requisite dimmer. If you already have a plug in power power supply and the lights hooked up, I would go with a rheostat and mount it under the cabinets where you could just reach under and give it a quick twist when you wanted to dim the lights or turn them completely off. Keep in mind, though, that the rheostat will be a power vampire whereas a traditional dimmer for the wall receptacle would reduce the power use or turn it completely off when the lights were not needed.

RE: ac-dc transformer question

120 volt receptacles are not to be placed on a dimmer.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here