Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GFCI for Broan 744 Light/Fan

Posted by tech0010 (My Page) on
Tue, May 3, 11 at 21:59

I am replacing the can light over my shower with a Broan 744 can light / fan. The specs say it should be GFCI protected for wet installations. I will be replacing the current switch with a woods timer.

I am looking at my options to deal with the GFCI requirement.

1. Install a GFCI breaker on the lighting circuit for this part of the house.

2. Install a dead head GFCI in the closet next to the shower and feed the existing switch from this.

3. Install a box and a dead head GFCI in the attic next to the can.

So option 1 would be the easiest, but I have heard that CFL's can trip GFCI breakers and all of the lights besides the shower on this circuit are CFL. Does anyone have any experince with CFL's and GFCI breakers?

Option 3 would be the next option, although I'm not sure about installing a GFCI in an unfinished attic. It would seem to defeat the spirit of the device since it would never be tested. Would this pass inspection?

Option 2 should work, it's just the most work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GFCI for Broan 744 Light/Fan

Option 1 or 2. You don't want to have to crawl into an unfinished attic to reset a GFCI.
Never heard of any issues with CFLs and GFCI breakers.

o
RE: GFCI for Broan 744 Light/Fan

I ended up using a gfci breaker after making sure the neutral reaches. No issues with the cfls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here