Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lame question about studs and outlets

Posted by franksmom_2010 (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 21:50

I'm wanting to hang some shelves in my laundry room. Some of the shelves will be holding heavy things, so I want them to be screwed into the studs.

The room has at least 5 wall outlets, (not including the washer and dryer) and most of the studs I want to use for hanging have an outlet installed lower on the wall.

Is it safe to drill a screw into these studs? I do have a stud finder, and of course, I get the a/c warning over most of the studs.

I really want to hang my shelves, but I really, really don't want to start a fire or get electrocuted. I could always use wall anchors and avoid the studs, but studs would be my preference. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lame question about studs and outlets

Choose a screw that does not extend more than one half inch into the stud and you should be fine. Be concerned vertical of the water supply.

o

I assume the shelf is up high and the receptacles are down low. If that is the case you should be fine. The wires will be down near the receptacles or on the side of the stud instead of through the stud.

o

Thanks so much!

Joed, yes. The outlets are about 17" from the floor, and I'm wanting to hang shelves at eye level.

You'd think there would be a simple answer to this, but I've searched through the net, home improvement books, etc., and found nothing, although I did suspect the wires would be on one side of the stud, and not attached to the front/center. And the info that came with my stud finder just basically says not to drill or hammer anywhere the a/c sensor goes off, which in this room, would be...everywhere!

As always, I'm appreciative of the folks on GW that take the time to answer questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here