Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this cage around the breaker?

Posted by anniel89 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 21:30

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why this cage is around the breaker in this picture?

It's the breaker for my furnace.

I have a 15 amp tandem breaker with an open spot. I would like to put the furnace on that to free up the space but I don't know why the cage is there?

If the cage is necessary, can I move the existing breaker (and cage) up to the top of the panel where tandems are not allowed? This would free up the space where it currently resides for a tandem.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this cage around the breaker?

It's so a lock can be put on it to lock it on or off.

YES, the breaker can still trip if it is locked on.

o

Yes, it's a lock out. Usually it is done when that breaker is the maintenance disconnect for some piece of equipment but it is not "in sight of" the equipment it is controlling. I've got one in my townhouse because this county thinks the wall ovens need one (the other big loads like the water heater, furnace, A/C compressor, all have disconnects located right at them).

o

Thanks. I called my inspector and he told me it was not necessary. He couldn't figure out why the lock was there in the first place on the furnace.

Thanks all!

o

If your furnace doesn't have another disconnect and you can't see this breaker from the where you work on the furnace, then it needs to have a lockout provision.

Otherwise, it's spurious/

o

Yep, that was it. Turns out there is no shut off at the furnace (I never even noticed!). Seems weird that they didn't install one.

I put the furnace on the tandem circuit and I'm just going to put the lock on there too.

o

Or just put a switch or pull-out disconnect at the furnace. Despite what the code permits, I like to be able to see my disconnect when I'm working on things.

o

Does not the furnace require its own dedicated breaker?

o

It's on a dedicated breaker, just a tandem now instead of a solo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here