Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor GFCI outlet on laundry room circuit

Posted by matt_m (My Page) on
Mon, May 12, 08 at 21:28

I'm wiring my laundry room, and my wiring plan has 6 outlet receptacles on it (washer and dryer are both on different, dedicated circuits). I have an outdoor outlet that would fit very well into the number 4 position in the wiring scheme. Since all of my outlets in there will be GFIed off the first outlet, is it okay to incorporate an outside receptacle in that circuit? I've heard some people say that an outside GFCI should be on its own circuit, but heck, that eats up one whole slot in my sub panel just for one little ol' outlet.

Oh, and as an aside, I just about gagged when I found out I had to take back my little regular 20 amp breaker ($6.00 or $7.00) and get a 20 amp AFCI for my new family room ($35.00) per NEC 2008. I may even need two of those expensive bad boys, since I like running my lights and receptacles on their own circuits (9 lights and 12 outlets -- figure that's just too many for one circuit, and I'm a firm believer in overkill). Geez Louise.

Anyhow, thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor GFCI outlet on laundry room circuit

Nah, you are cool using a regular outlet outside if it is on the end of a GFCI branch. The GFCI upstream protects everything downstream.

Yup, those AFCI's aren't given away.

o

Nah, you are cool using a regular outlet outside if it is on the end of a GFCI branch. The GFCI upstream protects everything downstream.

Yup, those AFCI's aren't given away.

o

You can't put non-laundry room outlets on the laundry room circuit. Not permitted.

o

Does that apply to lighting, as well? I was going to run my family room lights (with the AFCI breaker) on the same circuit as the 2 or 3 can lights in my laundry room.

o

The normal installation is a duplex receptacle on a dedicated 20 A circuit for the laundry room.
Lighting is not on this circuit.
The lighting in a laundry room can be on any regular lighting circuit.

o

The 20A circuit feeds the laundry receptacles and no other outlets (that includes lighting in the laundry room or elsewhere).

o

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on putting the washing machine on its own 20 amp circuit, the rest of the receptacles (except dryer) on a different 20 amp circuit (and GFI them), the lights will be on the same circuit as the adjoining family room, and the outdoor outlets (I'm adding a second one) will have their own circuit (and be on GFI). It's a little more wire and a $6.00 breaker -- no big deal. Again, thanks for all the help.

o

The GFCI protection for the washer and dryer are not necessary unless they are within six feet of a laundry sink.

o

Thanks, normel. Do you mean 6 feet from the edge of the sink to the actual washer and dryer outlets, or 6 feet from the edge of the sink to the washer and dryer themselves?

o

Six feet from the edge of the sink to the receptacle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here