Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my wiring shortening bulb life?

Posted by byzantine (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 20:56

Hello! I hope this isn't a repeat question -- I tried searching and didn't find any answers. Really, I'm not sure how to search for this or really even ask this question. Here goes.

We lose a lot of bulbs. Incandescent ones, as expected, go out fastest, lasting an average of about a month or two. CFLs last a bit longer, about 5-6 months. So far, none of the LED bulbs have gone bad. However, since our electrical panel was replaced in March, 3 CFLs and 6 incandescent bulbs have "popped" right as I'm flipping the switch to turn on the fixtures.

Should I be worried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my wiring shortening bulb life?

No. This has nothing to do with your wiring or the panel change.

o

Thank you! It seemed like a nutty thing to ask, but so many bulbs going out was notable and therefore spooky.

o

Which question was that 'no' referring to?

Is my wiring shortening bulb life?
or
Should I be worried?

Because aren't bulbs burning out quickly an indication of a possible voltage problem and should therefore be looked into?

o

Have you measured the voltage then? Loose neutral?

o

greg, both.

I would say it's due to cheap lamps (bulbs). CFLs IMO last no where near the stated life, and are much more susceptible to vibration than originally thought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here