Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splice wiring in a 220 junction box?

Posted by justcurious_gal (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 20:33

Getting a new stove...old stove was hard wired into the junction box. New stove needs the junction box to be about 12 inches below the old one. And fitted with a plug. Can we splice into that wiring in the old box, cover the box, create a new box 12 inches below with a 4-prong plug (the wiring has red, black, white and ground wires).? Otherwise, if we put the plug where the old junction box is, the stove will stick out an extra 2" from the wall - the new plug would be next to a special recessed area at the base of the stove designed for accomodating the plug.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splice wiring in a 220 junction box?

Yes, as long as the box remains "accessable" (i.e., you just put a cover over it) you can do this. That shouldn't be a problem as I suspect the stove will just visually hide it.

o
RE: Splice wiring in a 220 junction box?

Be sure to use the correct devices to joint the wires.

Both the type of conductor (copper and/or aluminum) and the size of the conductors affect the device used.

Split bolts are a common method and require thorough taping up for insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here