Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkbum_gw

Wiring lights question

lkbum_gw
10 years ago

I'm wiring spot lights in a basement. The cans have a metal junction box. In most cases I have two romex lines feeding into the boxes. Can I pass both lines through a single knock out and one strain relief. Or does each line require it's own hole and strain relief?

Comments (13)

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

You need to check the listing on the strain relief you are using, but many are approved for 2 14-2 cables.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, this morning I did check with the Electrician I plan to hire to do some tie in work and he confirmed what you posted. Seems like there is considerable debate about this on the net.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"Seems like there is considerable debate about this on the net."

the device is either listed for two cables or it is not.

You cannot just grab ANY NM clamp and assume it is listed for two cables, but some ARE listed that way and would be fine to use that way

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The reason for the post..... See link. I may have just overlooked it, but I don't see a rating for the number of conductors, number of cables etc. Am I missing something, this is the only option to "just grab" at my local supply house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to 2 piece connector

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Advertising puffery rarely lists all the conditional for accepted use.

You would have to look at the manufacturer's spec sheet.

It also is on the packaging occasionally.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That link IS the manufacturers spec sheet, not advertising puffery. There is no additional information on the packaging and the connector is void of any markings.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

That particular piece appears to be only good for one cable. The ones Halex makes that support two specifically say that they support two.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, how can you tell? Is there a mark on the piece or something? If not, how would an inspector or anyone for that matter know. Just curious..... That's what prompted the post. I searched the web and found several threads with various guys battling it out over how many conductors could be plumbed through various things. I am a regular poster on a couple of other boards on gardenweb so thought I would ask here. I even checked the free version of the NEC code. Never saw a real clear cut answer.

• greg_2010
    10 years ago

Because the listing says :
    use to secure #14 - #10 non-metallic sheathed cable
    which means ONE cable.

Look at another listing (like the one linked below):
    Fits NM Cable: #14/2, #12/2, #12/3, AWG or 2 #14/2 AWG or Flex cord .300 to .560 inches diameter 3/8" (1/2ko).

Here is a link that might be useful: Halex Snap-In

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that nuance went right over my head. I had not seen one that specifcally called out two cables. Thanks!

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

That is a very poor excuse for a 'cut sheet' for the clamps.

On large jobs we collect every cut sheet for every part in a large notebook so that if a question comes up later the AHJ (and us) both have documentation to back up the use.

The cut sheet normally lists what labs have approved the devices.

• lkbum_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wouldn't call installing 12 cans in a basement a "large" job and don't plan on having a cut sheet (what ever that is) to show the AHJ (whoever that is). But now I do know the answer to the question originally posted.

• mm11
    10 years ago

AHJ stands for 'Authority Having Jurisdiction'. Typically, that would be the electrical inspector, but the term AHJ covers anyone who has responsibility for enforcement of the NEC.