Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwgin

Old House, New Wiring - Plugmold or Power Track or ?

gwgin
9 years ago

We purchased a small old bungalow needing lots of work as a retirement home. The walls are lath & plaster with high baseboards, and the electric is knob & tube. The first thing we did was to get an electrician to come in and upgrade the service to the house, but we did not re-do the wiring since we needed to get a plan in place as to where to put things. The house has an open basement which will make it easier to run the wiring from the new box once we figure out what we want.

Right now, the electrical plugs and and the heating vents are cut into the baseboard, in the areas where there are still baseboards. (Yes, it is a mess).

So: I need to install new baseboards, do not want holes cut into them for new outlets, but also do not want holes in the plaster. (Will trim around the heat registers).

I am considering the following options:
1) Install baseboard. Install hard-wired plugmold/wiremold outlets (or something similar) above the baseboard. Finish off with quarter round.
2) Install baseboard. Install hard-wired power track with "movable" outlets above the baseboard. Finish off with quarter round.

I have found lots of photos on this site of people using plugmold under their kitchen cabinets. Could not find any where people are combining it with the baseboard.

I found photos of option 2 on the internet while googling for option 1. The manufacturers seem to be in Europe (e.g. Dural) & Asia (e.g. Eubiq). I do not know if it is available here or not, but my husband says they installed something similar in the computer room at the place where he works, but not as "nice". So maybe only available for commercial settings?

We both like the idea of option 2 for the additional flexibility it offers. Some of the systems offer USB, etc. in addition to power outlets.

Does any of the above sound feasible?

I tried to get some some guidance from the Oregon electrical code, but could not find it online. (Did find the other codes. I think the electrical code is put out by a different group?)

Any help/suggestions/comments would be sincerely appreciated.

Comments (6)