Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to splice (or avoid splicing) multiple wires

Posted by dave11 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 18:40

I'm in the process of sketching out a new electrical supply for my garage, using EMT as a raceway. 750 SF, so I need at least 6 fluoro fixtures, 6 receptacles, two 3-way switches, etc. I got the design reduced to the fewest number of splices and boxes, but now as I'm drawing out the actual wiring, I see there is a six-way splice for the neutrals in the first j-box, because all the legs emanate from this point. The required volume of this box, based on number and type of conductors, is 80 cubic inches, including clamps, per NEC.

After looking online, I've seen that some folks will splice that many wires together with a properly-sized wire nut, but that makes me skittish. Is a terminal/junction block the way to go here?

If so, I would assume its meant to be secured to the bottom of the j-box? I've just never had a reason to use one before.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to splice (or avoid splicing) multiple wires

Personally, I wouldn't try to put that much wiring in one box. You may have figured out the fewest number of splices, but not necessarily the highest quality ones. Instead of having everything emanating from that first octopus box, figure out a better layout so that the wiring and splices are distributed around, and you have a better balance.

o
RE: Best way to splice (or avoid splicing) multiple wires

That is going to be a real mess of a JB.

Better to spread everything out.

Run the wiring from fixture to fixture.

A correctly made junction is not going to fail in your lifetime (and often much longer).

Even a simple wire nut is a gas tight connection.
The spring metal inside the wire nut is square in cross section.
It actually cuts into the conductors as it is tightened and makes a gas tight connection among the conductors.

You can remove a wire nut after years and see the bright copper surface in the conductors (You have to unwind the spring not unscrew it to avoid 'cleaning' the joint during disassembly).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here