Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 way switch wiring..

Posted by atlanta39 (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 18:35

hi guys,
im currently fixing a furnace blower for a shop fan. The blower has 3 speeds..low,med,and high. I want to add a switch to power each speed.. I was told i would need 2 3way switches and 1 reguar switch. I have wired up switches before but not 3 way.. can someone explain how to wire up these 3 way switches so each blower speed works seperately and only one switch can work at a time. For example if low is on i cant turn med on until low is off etc..can someone put me on the right path..thanks for help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 way switch wiring..

Something does not sound correct.

What switching are you trying to achieve?

A single pole 3 throw (position switch. AKA 1P3T) sounds a lot more likely than a 3-way switch.

o

i was told a 3 way thats why im here to see if my information is correct.. all i want is to wire the different fan speeds up where they can only work one at a time.any ideas

o

One reg. switch, power in and to 1st 3way.

First 3 way power from switch on common. Line one to fan speed 3 and line 2 to second 3 way.

On second 3way switch run your power into the common. On one terminal run the 1st speed on the second run the 2nd speed.

Or you can buy a 3 way switch especially for fans found on most box fans.

o

"Or you can buy a 3 way switch especially for fans found on most box fans."

These switches are NOT going to handle an induction motor blower fan.

They are designed for light duty shaded pole motors.

o

ok..i looked on the fan switch just to see it says 110 volt-6amp so i guess it wont work.any suggestions on a switch that will work..

o

It might be difficult to find a switch that will handle that kind of current. I have seen two-speed fans that draw more than that, but unless you find a surplus switch, I fear that you will be over budget since this seems like a miserly project.

The least expensive way to do this might be to use a combo of surplus relays and a common three-way fan switch to control them. It might get a lot simpler or less expensive if you settle for two speeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here