Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
outside wiring

Posted by philkiss (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 18:07

A house inspector looked at our wiring coming into the house and noted that 200 amps comes into the house from the street. The feed from the electric service off the street is 200 amps. The feed line into the electric circuit box is 100 amps. Could this set up cause a fire? If this is a problem, what steps should be taken? The electrical company found no problem with the #4 aluminum triplex wire to the house.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: outside wiring

As long as your main breaker panel is sized at 100 amps, it is fine. Check the main breaker. The power company may of just ran larger wire in-case your house is upgraded to 200 amps.


 o
RE: outside wiring

Just to clarify, all the wiring in your house should be protected by a breaker. The breaker should be sized so that it trips if the current goes above what the wiring can handle. In your case, if you have a wire that can handle 100 amp and a breaker that trips at 100 amp, then it is perfectly safe. If you have wiring that can handle 100 amp and the breaker isn't going to trip until 200 amp, then it would be dangerous.

A slightly larger concern for a home buyer is that the service is only 100 amp. That is undersized by modern standards. If the house is older, it was probably perfectly reasonable at the time, but people have so many more electric appliances and electronics then they used to - microwave, toaster over, blender, coffee makers, toaster, dishwasher, disposal etc - and that is just in the kitchen. Depending on how your family lives, you may or may not need to upgrade the electrical.


 o
RE: outside wiring

All good points. My new a/c needed an additional 60amps. so, 100amps [total] kind of tells me that you a>don't have an a/c or b> you have a very old a/c.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here