Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guest261

Two-prong to three-prong and GFCI

Guest261
9 years ago

My house was built in the 60s and has no ground wire except in bath and kitchen. However, previous owner has converted all two prong receptacles into three-prong without any grounding. My electrician says he will put a GFCI on one recepticle in each circuit and ground rest of the outlets either to the box or to the neutral. He thinks this is legal and safe as there is one GFCI on each circuit to take care of any short. Is this legal and safe?

Comments (8)

• randy427
    9 years ago

It is not permitted to connect the ground to the neutral wire.
    Putting a GFCI receptacle as the first device in the circuit is a good idea as it will provide for Ground Fault protection there and on downstream devices connected back to the Load terminals of the GFCI. Not as good as also having a ground wire, but better than no protection. The receptacles must then be labeled as 'Ungrounded'

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

Specifically the code requires the words "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND." Usually the GFCI comes with some appropriate stickers for you to use.

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

You may want to find another electrician though... I can't imagine any qualified electrician suggesting that the ground be connected to the neutral.

Here's why that's a hugely bad idea: in the event that the neutral wire would break or have a bad connection, all of the metal surfaces of an appliance, for example, would become energized. Depending on where the break happened, it could potentially energize all of the "grounded" surfaces including faceplates, metal surfaces, etc on anything plugged into the entire circuit.

This type of grounding is known as a "bootleg ground". It's done to fool home inspectors. No legitimate electrician would suggest doing it - even with a GFCI (which can fail).

• Guest261
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

It's not even a "bootleg" ground. Grounding to the neutral is unsafe and only permitted in certain cases (grandfathered stove and dryer situations), certainly NOT in this case. It's UNSAFE for a number of reasons.

A bootleg ground is using a grounding conductor of another circuit. This is less of an issue but still possibly problematic but also possibly permitted by the code.

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

ronnatalie,

I know different people have different informal terminology for these things... but if you google "bootleg ground" you will see that connecting the ground to the neutral is a common definition.

At any rate, it's not something that should be done. Neither would the electrician accomplish anything by connecting the ground to the metal box unless the metal box is grounded - for example through BX or armored cable.

• Ron Natalie
    9 years ago

BX is not recognized as an adequate ground either.

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

ronnatalie,

I guess I wasn't very clear. My point was simply grounding to a metal box that had no ground path wouldn't accomplish anything - and having someone suggest that would cause me to question the competency of the electrician.

I wasn't commenting on if grounding to a box with an old but intact BX ground was an adequate or code approve retrofit (because I didn't know for sure). But thanks for clearing that up.