Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
junction box near heating oil tank

Posted by w0lley32 (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 18:06

Hi! My parents just had their heating oil tank replaced in their basement, but while removing the old tank, the heating company knicked a 14-2 cable that runs in the wall, just above the tank. Can I just cut the cable and install a junction box wherever I find convenient and make it accessible, or because it would be over a tank of combustible do I need to make my juction box some distance away from the tank?

I would prefer replacing the entire length of cable, but the other end is not easily accessible without damaging the walls. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: junction box near heating oil tank

Proximity to the tank is not a concern.

o

"Can I just cut the cable and install a junction box..."

It is not that simple.

You will not have the required wire length unless you replace a section of the cable, or use two boxes with additional cable added between them.

o

Thanks for your replies. Fortunately for me, the cable was kind of bundled up in that corner, so I have about two feet of slack to work with, more than enough to ensure that 8 inches of cable enter the box on each side. My only concern was the proximity to the oil tank.

o

If the tank is creating vapors that are flammable proximity to a JB is the least of your worries.

Having some slack is handy, if not always attractive.

o

If it's fuel oil, the fumes are not that flammable.

o

"If it's fuel oil, the fumes are not that flammable."

Harder to ignite, but still flammable.

The spark in the injector gun has no problem.

o

So we do not become distracted, an indoor tank must be vented to the outside. Any fuel oil fumes inside would be intolerable to the occupants. A junction box does not create any spark or release any spark energy unless there is a problem with the contained splices.

o

Like I initially said, "If the tank is creating vapors that are flammable proximity to a JB is the least of your worries."

The system is set up to prevent actual vapors from being present inside the house, and correctly installed connections do not produce sparks.

o

Fuel oil is flammable, NOT combustible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here