Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Title 24 bathroom motion sensors

Posted by cody73 (My Page) on
Wed, May 8, 13 at 18:04

Hi, I'm working with my electrician on the lights in my bathroom. I've got a bunch of LEDs installed, and as far as I understand title 24 was asking for either "high efficacy lights" or motion sensors for the switches, which I interpret as if I have high efficacy lights then I don't need motion sensor switches, while my electrician disagreed. Could someone shed some light on this? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Title 24 bathroom motion sensors

Regarding bathrooms, it is "either" however the fixtures must accommodate only "high efficacy" light bulbs (such as GU24 base CFLs for example).

If the LED light bulbs and fixtures meet that criteria, the they do not need occupancy sensors.

If the LEDs are medium base screw in light bulbs, into standard fixtures, that would then require occupancy sensors.

If in addition to the "high efficacy" lighting you also use some "low efficacy" fixtures, then those fixtures must use occupancy sensors.

o

It is a "vacancy" sensor that is required, not "occupancy". Manual "on", automatic "off." Automatic "on" is not Title 24 approved, unless made redundant by also having approved high efficacy.

Some switches can be changed from "occupancy" to "vacancy" by removing the cover plate and sliding a select switch. These are not approved for Title 24, even if set for "vacancy".

This post was edited by attofarad on Tue, May 21, 13 at 12:28

o

Thanks for calling me on that attofarad - guess I've just gotten as lazy as the manufactures, distributors, box stores, and even AHJ's!

Yes, you are correct, the proper terminology is "vacancy sensor" - manual on - auto off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here