Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electrical wiring clearance

Posted by brint (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 17:32

I'm trying to determine whether I can run an existing wire over a new parallam beam. We are installing the beam to support overspaned floor joists below the living room of our 1908 house. Weyerhaeuser's iLevel specifications say that no holes may be drilled in a parallam that has a point load -- this beam will be inspected along with other permitted renovation in our home. There is a 3/4' space above the beam then 3/4" underlayment, 3/4" fir strip flooring, then oak strip flooring over that. This depth exceeds the NEC requirement, but is running a wire here allowed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electrical wiring clearance

You can fish the wire over the beam. I'm not sure what NEC requirement you're talking about.

o

I'm talking about the 1-1/4" bore hole clearance from a framing member surface to help prevent nails and screws from penetrating the wire. The floor above the beam is almost 1-1/2" of wood, but does this satisfy the no conduit or no cover plate needed distance?

o

Is 1-1/2 larger than 1-1/4?

o
reRE: Electrical wiring clearance

The actual clearance is from the face of the member and ONLY applies to cables running in bored holes, it is NOT a general clearance requirement.

If you have a gap between the top of the new beam you can run a cable in through the gap as long as you can fit the cable into the gap without tearing up the outside jacket.

A loose cable tends to move if hit by a nail or screw, unlike one in a tight bored hole that cannot move.

o

Thanks for the clarification Brickeyee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here