Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbey_cny

? protection for outside outlets

abbey_cny
13 years ago

I am probably paranoid, but I would appreciate opinions on this. I am having my house resided. They removed the old wood, as requested, and in the process removed the cover on the outside outlet on my back wall. The outlet is now covered with a vinyl box, for lack of a better description, with an opening in the front in order to plug something into the outlet. My concern is this opening allows rain etc. to get on the outlet. Granted, the outlet is behind this cover, but there is that opening. Should I expect to have the outlet properly covered or is this sufficient? My other outside outlet will get the same treatment I imagine, but that is at least on a porch so there is a roof for some additional coverage. I would appreciate any info on whether this needs to be rectified or whether I am borrowing trouble :) Thanks!

Abbey

Comments (14)

• petey_racer
    13 years ago

I am having trouble understanding exactly what you mean. What do you mean by "...that opening."?

If there is a flip or bubble cover then it is fine. If there is just a regular inside type plate that is NOT fine.

Can you take a pic of this receptacle?

• hexus
    13 years ago

I could be totally off base but from what I am gathering from the OP, the siders put what is called a master mount around the outlet.

In which case, yes you need a weather proof cover for the receptacle.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• hexus
    13 years ago

ignore my horrible spelling

wish this forum allowed editing.....

• Ron Natalie
    13 years ago

Those were once standard but modern code requires a cover that provides water protection while something is plugged into it (an in-use cover). You can get these at most of the home centers and it's a fairly simple operation.

• hexus
    13 years ago

good point Ron. The cover in my previous link wouldn't work under today's codes, but it does show the siding master mount, which I suspect is what the OP is talking about.

you're going to need a cover like this for the outlet

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have found a picture of what I have but Garden Web is not letting me put in the link. Cannot figure out why, but for your info it is described and shown on the Dinesol building products site as a "Big Electrical Block" From what you are telling me and the examples you have shown me I am surmising that what I have is not acceptable. Don't know why that site can show it, unless it is supposed to go over an approved outlet cover, which in my case it is not. I will have to take it up with the contractor tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help!

• hexus
    13 years ago

So you're talking about this? (see link below)
    Same thing as I described. Around here we all call them master mounts.
    Get a weather proof in use cover and you'll be fine. This is not the siding contractors job to provide the covers so I'm not surprised that they didn't do anything.

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes, that is it.. I realize it is not their job to provide covers, but the outlet had a cover to begin with, which they removed and put that big electrical block on instread. . If they had left well enough alone it would have been fine. I will have to see if we can get that removed so the proper cover can be put back on. Thanks!

Abbey

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

one more question, sorry! This big electrical block does not allow enough room to put a cover on the outlet. I tried today putting my old outlet cover over the outlet and I couldn't even get it through the hole in the block. There also isn't enough room within the confines of the box to open a cover? But apparently there must be some kind of cover available for use because these electrical blocks appear to be standard equipment? I looked today and couldn't find any covers that would fit within this block. Does anyone have any suggestions for where I could find something that would work? or what I should use? Thanks for any ideas.

Abbey

• hexus
    13 years ago

can you take a picture of it so we know exactly what it looks like and can help you further please

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no digital camera avail sorry! But it is exactly what you show in the picture. And the size of the opening precludes using an outlet cover, at least one like I had previously. Presumably any outlet cover because I could not get my previous outlet cover inside the opening, much less open it up. I don't see how you could get any outlet cover to work inside that mounting block, but perhaps there is a one which would work? I just haven't been able to find one.

• hexus
    13 years ago

it doesn't go inside of it.

it will look similar like the picture in the link below.

go to your local supply house and them your situation, they will know what you need. You looking for a weather poof, in use outlet cover.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hexus
    13 years ago

what you'll probably end up getting is something more like below....

but the above link gives you an idea of how it will look with the siding piece you've been describing.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• abbey_cny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Hexus! I will have to ask the contractor to change the type of vinyl mounting block he put up as the in use cover won't work with what I currently have, but that shouldn't be a problem. Now I know what I need to have from him and from the electrical supply pla ce so thanks very much for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Abbey