Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolinagirl57_gw

Fan motor part

Idietolive
10 years ago

Hi all, I have a ceiling fan and it has a burnt out part. Can anyone tell me what it is? I need some electrical work done and I am trying to figure out if this is replaceable or if I need to buy a new fan.
I can't figure out how to include 2 pics, the other is coming desperately.
Thanks

Comments (9)

• Idietolive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is pic

• mm11
    10 years ago

It's kind of hard to tell, because I can't read the info on the sticker, but it looks like a receiver for a remote controlled fan.

• Ron Natalie
    10 years ago

It's an E 252098 obviously :)
    Do you want to give us a hint? What manufacturer/model fan is it. Did you try calling them?

• globe199
    10 years ago

I had a ceiling fan with a remote in our master bedroom. Something (either the remote or the receiver) stopped working and the light was stuck on bright and the fan on HI. I was able to kill the fan by putting the direction switch in between the two directions. I could not find a replacement remote and wasn't interested in replacing the receiver for a fan I didn't like anyway.

So I replaced the fan with a $100 Hunter. Installed a dimmer wall switch. Couldn't be happier. The fan is absolutely silent on low (good for nighttime) and there's no remote or receiver to crap out. (Also discovered that the ceiling box was not a fan box, had that replaced too.) I'll never have another fan with a remote.

My advice is to take the old fan down. Get a new fan and have it out of the box and ready to assemble. Shouldn't take an electrician more than about 30 minutes to install the new one.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    10 years ago

It's the wireless receiver. If you want a new one, I believe there are generic/aftermarket models available. Or call the manufacturer of the fan.

• Idietolive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. It is a 1 year old Hunter fan (no remote). It started to smell, but still worked. I took the light kit off and saw this. The fan won't work without the light. If the electrician can wire to work without the light I will keep it. If not I will replace. Here is another pic

• yosemitebill
    10 years ago

That is a wattage limiter - they have been mandated by the EPA since 2005 to limit total light bulb wattage to 190 watts.

You can do a search on "ceiling fan wattage limiter" for lots more information.

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

"My advice is to take the old fan down. Get a new fan and have it out of the box and ready to assemble. Shouldn't take an electrician more than about 30 minutes to install the new one."

It's nice of you to assume this, but what if there is no fan box present? It becomes a bit more than a 1/2 hour job at that point.

• petey_racer
    10 years ago

"My advice is to take the old fan down. Get a new fan and have it out of the box and ready to assemble. Shouldn't take an electrician more than about 30 minutes to install the new one."

It's nice of you to assume this, but what if there is no fan box present? It becomes a bit more than a 1/2 hour job at that point.

Also, putting a fan on a dimmer is a big no-no. One of them is going to burn out at some point. You need a speed control for a fan motor, NOT a dimmer.