Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring for a dryer receptacle

Posted by rgb28787 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 14:29

My 9 month old high end Samsung dryer broke down again for the 3rd time this past week. Dryer guy came out and replaced the same board that keeps going bad but this time it seems the dryer overloaded and burned out the dryer plug and 4 prong receptacle and it's up to me to replace that (don't get me started on the Samsung warranty folks).
So, we checked the panel and the wiring there is fine. He told me to remove the old receptacle, strip back 8 inches of wire and start there to add the new receptacle. Issue is, I don't have 8 inches of wire to pull through the wall. My question is can I cut back the existing 10-3 wire, run it into a box and then pigtail in a new length (3 or 4 feet + a little extra) of wire to where the outlet currently sits OR do I (or, in my case, the electrician I hire) have to start new at the panel and run new 10-3 all the way to the laundry room? Thanks. Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring for a dryer receptacle

How did the receptacle get damaged? Any current generating enough heat the damage the receptacle should have tripped the breaker. Nothing that you plug into an outlet should damage the branch wiring in your home.

As for running a length of wire, you can use a junction box provided it remains accessible. You can't bury the box behind drywall etc. Really though, if part of the wire got hot enough to be damaged, I'd just replace the whole run back to the panel.

Overall, I wouldn't trust the "dryer guy" for electrical advice. Get a qualified electrician out there asap.

o

There's something odd going on. A dryer that blows out 3 controller boards in 9 months plus a receptical burning out smells of a wiring problem of some sort.

Was the dryer set up for 4-wire or 3-wire?

o

A loose connection in the plug could have caused the overheating.

o

A junction box can be used, but it needs to be accessible. Double check all wiring for anything odd.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here