Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on labelling fusebox?

Posted by alison (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 14:14

The fusebox for my new/old 3-story house not only lacks a lid -- but none of the circuits except the fridge are labelled.

The home inspector and an electrician friend who was in town at the time told me there's nothing wrong with the box; the wiring is messy but safe; but both suggested I get the individual circuits labelled.

A friend is coming over this weekend to help me. Short of turning on everything we can in every room, then call each other on cell phones while one person flip switches and the other roams the house -- is there an easier way to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on labelling fusebox?

You can buy circuit detectors for a relatively small amount of money which can detect which breaker is feeding outlets and light switches. What I did was remove the plastic plate from each outlet or switch and wrote the number of the breaker on the inside of the plate in indelible marker. I also kept track of what was what, and marked the breakers accordingly. Even with my 10-yr-old house where the electricians DID label the breakers, half the outlets in my MBR are not on the breaker labeled MBR at the panel.

However, if you go this route, DO NOT ASSUME the detector got it right as they sometimes will give you a false reading. If you are going to do electrical work, you can shut down the breaker you think is the right one, but TEST the circuit before you start poking around.

o

If you want to do it by yourself, a portable radio with the volume turned up works. There are circuit tracers but the ones most homeowners can afford (and justify) aren't perfect. You'll likely still need to double check.

My preference is for a neatly typed, painfully detailed list of what each breaker controls. Not "Bedroom #1" but rather "northwest bedroom" and "southwest bedroom" "Garage light, garage receptacle, front porch light, main entry hall light"

It's pretty easy to do with Excel or Word.

And, you'll want to get a cover ASAP.

o

Send me your email and I'll email you a microsift word document I found for labeling circuits.

jayherenow@aol.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here