Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluesky88

Fanamation Embrace Ceiling Fan

bluesky88
9 years ago

We are looking to install two Fanamation Embrace Ceiling Fans (will not be using the light feature)
These fans are sold with a remote, no wall switch. We want to use a 3 speed wall switch.
Being told that the only way to do this is either:
1. Battery operated wall switch
2. Radio frequency signal operated wall switch.

We would like a plain old hard wired 3 way switch.
is this possible? What kind of switch can be used? How is this done?

Thank you for your help!

Comments (7)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

You say "3 speed wall switch" and "3 way switch." Two very different things-- do you want both? If not both, which one?
    Not sure that I will be able to actually help-- but the information probably will help others to answer your question(s).

This post was edited by bus_driver on Sun, May 18, 14 at 21:55

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

A 3 way switch is for operating lights from more than one location, so not what you're looking for. There's no such thing as a plain old 3 speed switch for residential applications. You're looking at a specialty device, requiring 4 control wires, and a complete rewiring of the fan speed circuit. Your best bet is to use the remote supplied.

Joe

• btharmy
    9 years ago

Joe1980 said: "There's no such thing as a plain old 3 speed switch for residential applications. You're looking at a specialty device, requiring 4 control wires, and a complete rewiring of the fan speed circuit. Your best bet is to use the remote supplied.
    Joe"

That is not correct. It is completely possible to bypass the remote control device in the fan and install a 3 speed fan control in the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fanamation 3 speed fan switch

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

My intention is to express that it's not a "plain old" type of switch, that it's a specialty device that you'll need to order. I didn't say it couldn't be done, it's just not a "plain old" type of job. You're still looking at a wiring job that'll require some electrical knowledge, and based on the original question, I suspect the poster isn't overly experienced in electrical wiring. I don't like to give people a false sense that something is easy to do. Electricity is nothing to fool with.

Joe

• jmvd20
    9 years ago

3 speed fan controls are not special order and in most cases would not require any wiring as long as a switch is already on the fan. These switches are not special order, all of the box stores, any electrical supply house, and most hardware stores stock them.

• btharmy
    9 years ago

3 speed fan switches are 2 wire connection, just like single pole switches. You go to "big box store" buy the switch, remove the 2 wires (and ground) from the single pole switch and connect them to the 3 speed fan switch. They wire up exactly the same.

• Joe1980
    9 years ago

I have to admit, I've not seen those. The fans I've had and/or worked on had a capacitor pack with a different switch leg for each speed. I've put a few remotes in for customers and had to wire the remote module into these capacitor packs. I haven't had to put one in for years now, so maybe they've changed. If that's the case, my apologies.

Joe