Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
post for electric

Posted by winegrapes (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 14:10

Hello, I have to run power for my swimming pool pump..how far from the pool should it be,..and how high above the ground?..thanks Charlie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: post for electric

Well, this is a loaded question. There is a simple answer, which is 5' MINIMUM from the pool wall or water line. There is a reason for this number and MANY other closely related codes.
Are you aware of any of them? If you are wiring for a pool I would hope so.
I think getting a couple of good home wiring books, that specifically cover pools, would be in your (AND your family's) best interest.

o
RE: post for electric

I agree with Petey that you've got no business mucking around with pool wiring unless you know well the NEC especially Article 680.

However, I don't know where the five feet comes from. That's bogus. If it's within TEN feet of the water horizontal, it's in the overhead space and if so it needs to be 22.5 FEET above the waterline (as well as 14.5 from anyplace on a diving board/platform you can stand).

Five feet is a number that only applies to certain things like lighting and certain specially exempted receptacles.

o
oops

Oops I misread that as a POLE (for overhead wiring)...a post for just mounting a junction box makes more sense with what you're probably asking (and what Petey answered). Still as alluded to, there are constraints on that five foot number that you need to consider very carefully.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here