Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metal Junction Boxes and 2-Wire Romex

Posted by ntl1991 (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 13:41

Hello.

I have quite a few metal junction boxes in the unfinished basement of my 1940's house. Some have new NM-B running into them, some have the original 2-Wire Romex (with braided cloth insulation), and some have both.

When did the NEC require that metal junction boxes be grounded? Some of the metal junction boxes I have are really quite old with (what looks like) soldered and taped splices, and I'd imagine they were done to code. Am I required to bring these junctions up to the current code by putting them in PVC boxes?

I have one set of exposed splices in my basement, with 3 #14 non-grounded Romex wires splicing together with wire nuts. Because I have no ground path back to the fuse panel, I cannot instal in a metal junction box. Therefore, I have to use a PVC box.

Can I use a plastic switch box, or a round ceiling box, or does it not matter, as long as I have the correct capacity for the wires and connectors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metal Junction Boxes and 2-Wire Romex

You can use any box you want as long as it's of sufficient internal volume. It matters not if you use a round or a rectangular one.

Given you have ungrounded cable, you can probably safely assume there was no necessity to ground the boxes at the time they were installed. As long as you're not upgrading the circuit, you do not have to change this at this time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here