Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Accidentally Pierced 6/3 Cable - Splice?

toddimt
12 years ago

I was doing some remodeling work and a piece of metal on the drop ceiling cut into the 6/3 cable in my basement running from the main panel to an upstairs sub panel. There was a nice puff of smoke and the breaker popped.

I had cut back the outside sheathing to inspect the damage and it appears that only the red wire was pierced. The others look intact. In order to get power restored, I ran to HD and used a split bolt connector and wrapped it taught in the 3M rubber tape extra thick all around and then the vinyl tape. This was a temporary solution,as it is not in a junction box. I am now to seeing what my options are short of having to run a brand new 6/3 line.

Since this cable runs through a utility room in the basement, I could possibly cut the cable here and connect in an approved method and run a new wire from here to the breaker, since the damaged occurred between these 2 points. Not sure what the appropriate fix would be?

I have seen the Polaris connectors mentioned. Not sure if this is the best method or if these connectors need to be put in a junction box or not.

All options would be appreciated :).

Comments (3)