Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor connections

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Tue, May 14, 13 at 13:13

Is there any compound that should be used on outdoor connections to prevent any oxidation or moisture from getting in to them? Mainly connections inside 3R enclosures to lugs or breakers.

I know there is NoOx for Al to Cu connections... but I have read that NoOx should not be used on non-Al connections. Something like the gel that is in the exterior blue wire nuts for outdoor use.

Or is it better to just use nothing at all on outdoor copper to panel lug/breaker connections?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor connections

A correctly installed wire nut is a gas tight connection.

I try to leave them pointing up to limit water collecting in them.

Nothing is actually required.

o

I think the OP is asking about terminations on a breaker or bar, not wire to wire splices.

o

When torqued correctly the typical set screw connection in a panel is also gas tight.

You do have a torque wrench or torque screwdriver for torquing connections I hope.

The aluminum wire debacle of the 1970s called called attention to the general failure to enforce torque limits on connections.

The need to use low temper aluminum on single wire connections (as opposed to stranded) heightened the problem.
The aluminum heats up, expands, and deforms enough to reduce the connection integrity. It shows up as screws that are no longer 'tight.'

The next cycle makes it worse since the connection is no longer gas tight and becomes mechanically inadequate.

Harder aluminum would have resulted in solid conductor cables that did not have adequate flexibility for their intended use.

o

I'm curious how many of the professionals here have a torque screwdriver and how often they use it.

o

I have a couple of AHJs that come through torque wrench in hand and spot checks, especially breakers and neutral and ground bars, but occasionally a receptacle.

The screwdrivers are enough of a PITA and overpriced that using a wrench is a good option.

As long as you only use straight extensions it still gives correct readings, and for larger values (like 4/0 clamps) is easier to use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here