Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
arc fault breaker trips

Posted by topcat162 (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 12:51

The arc fault breaker in the main panel for a bedroom trips after being reset, usually after a few minutes to hours later. The circuit protected consists of 4 ceiling can lights, ceiling fan, fluorescent closet light. But all these are off when it trips! How do I test what is causing the tripping, or can I just replace the breaker with a regular breaker? I must add that one of the can lights for some reason doesn't work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: arc fault breaker trips

Fix the can light and see if that cures the problem. Sounds like the arc fault breaker is doing its job.

o

Thanks...I did kinda feel the can was the problem..however, I was able to open the circuit box and redid all the connectors, seemed the blk wire was loose, but that did not fix it. Could it be a faulty thermal protector? I guess I can cut that out of the circuit and wire nut it, as my next attempt. But I'm thinking a pinched wire and a fixture by fixture elimination process in the attic..it's a low hip roof and I think I'll just about fit..any other suggestions before I commit to that torture? Thanks in advance...

o

When you are through with that wirenutting trick you could go cut the brake lines on your car too.

o

topcat162, if you bypass the thermal protector for testing, please don't leave your bypass in there permanently. If it turns out to be the problem, disconnect it and leave it until you can obtain a proper protector for replacement.

o

If you are going up there take the complete can light out of the circuit. It doesn't work anyway so nothing is lost.

o

Remove the lamp from the fixture and look in the cavity. The access method to the junction box should be obvious. Attic trip unnecessary.

o

Thanks y'all...yes, I can drop each can and access the junction box to isolate the bad can from below, I will try to bypass the bad can thermal protector, n' if it works, will put in new can, also will try to isolate fan and closet light at switches first to test those circuits anyway. Thanks to all. Brake line, really!

o

If you do the brake line thing please invite groundrod for a ride- I think he needs some excitement in his life.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here