Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wiring Mother-in-Law Apt

Posted by Chell456 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 12:23

Hello;

I am working on creating a mother-in-law apartment in the basement of my house and I'd like to arrange things so that the electrical usage can be sub-metered. So far, this is pretty straight forward as I will have a breaker panel for the house and a breaker panel for the apt. The problem is that the washer and dryer will be shared between the two units.

The best idea I have so far would be to use a 3-way switch (for the washer) which I believe acts like an A-B switch. Flipped one way, it would take power from the house panel and flipped the other way it would take power from the Apt panel. The neutral would be unswitched and would come from one panel or the other - but not both.

The question is, how does this fit with the NEC?

Any thoughts?

Sincerely;
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wiring Mother-in-Law Apt

I'm not an electrician, but I'm pretty sure that that definitely wouldn't be allowed by the NEC.

You'd probably need something that switched both the hot and the neutral, like a Double-Throw Safety Switch (see link below).

Or you could install two receptacles (on different circuits) side-by-side at the washer and just unplug it from one and plug it into the other.

Either way, it seems like it would be a pain in the butt and you would frequently forget to switch it over to the proper side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Throw

o

You can't do it primarily because the neutral needs to follow the hots in the circuit. Since you say "submetering" you mean that you intend to keep with one service but want to bill your tenant for their use.

o

Frankly I can't imagine that it would be cost effective nor practical to have some kind of switch. Up the rent by a few dollars per months to cover the cost of utilities and be done with it. Or install a washer/dryer with a coin slot.

o

This is a common transfer switch application isn't it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Electrical Wiring Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here